Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cheakamus Challenge

Well the Cheakamus Challenge went off on Saturday.  The day started great in Squamish (after a slow drive through contstruction on the Sea to Sky), it was fairly warm and a very light rain was starting to fall.  Great conditions for riding.  This day called for shorts and a bright green Steed Cycles jersey with Steed arm warmers.

Last year I did not put a big ring on my bike and rode 
with a bash guard.  That was a mistake as the opening rode section was fast and I basically spun out and was left nearly at the back of the pack before we even hit the trail.  I did not make the same mistake this year and what a difference it made.  I was able to hold about middle of the pack (that is good for me) all the way through the rode section.

As you start climbing up above the Cheakamus Canyon I get reminded of why I love this race.  The views are awesome.  The race pretty much follows the Cheakamus Canyon from Squamish to just before Whistler and you get to see some views that you would never see from the car ride up.  For the 2nd year in a row I even got to see the Whistler Mountaineer come up through the canyon (maybe they plan it this way, I am not sure).

About half way through the race the rain picked up and it got colder with the elevation gain.  The trails were in great shape though.  The Sea to Sky trail is starting to come together and there was a new section that had just opened prior to this race.  The nice smooth single track felt great and was a pleasure to ride, it really flowed as the trail rolled between Brandy Wine and Loggers Lake.  At this point I am feeling great and am well ahead of my last year's pace.  I push until the 2nd feed station where I chow down on bananas, coo
kies and Coke.  Less than an hour to go and 2 big climbs left.

Up the Cheakamus, up the microwave tower road to Tunnel Vision and then back up Kadenwood to finally come ripping down into Creekside.  I am wet, cold and loving it.  30 minutes faster than last year and the burgers and beer are waiting.  




No comments: